To improve the quality of life in the community
through volunteer service and fund development
History of Jackson Junior Welfare League
At the Jackson City Club, on April 15, 1930, twenty-four women held a luncheon to discuss the possibility of starting a new organization whose primary purpose would be to help those less fortunate. The first meeting of the "Jackson Junior League" was held on April 29, 1930, to include 31 charter members. In October, 1930, the organization was re-christened the "Jackson Junior Welfare League." JJWL was incorporated in the State of Michigan with the filing of our Articles of Incorporation on April 28, 1949.
Our history is rich. From the first project, a basement playroom for the Day Nursery, to a milk fund distributed to the Children's Clinic at Foote Hospital, bond drives and sewing for the Red Cross during World War II, assistance with the Children's Theatre, establishment of the Ella Sharp Museum, founding of the Jackson Youth Symphony, creation of a recycling program "Greta Garbage", Project Earth Teach, Project Success, Born Free, and so much more.
More than eighty years later, JJWL strives to continue the legacy our founders began.